Friday, October 26, 2007

Pumpkin Carving

A few years ago, we started carving pumpkins at my dads house. It was always a blast. Then all the boys moved away. Patrick to Utah, Marcy and I to Slovakia and John to Idaho. The girls are still in Arizona, but I'm not sure if they still do pumpkins.

Marcy and I kept up the pumpkin tradition in Slovakia. They don't really celebrate Halloween here, but it's still fun. We invite the young, single adults from the Branch and the missionaries. Tonight was the third year we've done this. The fruits of our labor:
Missionaries and members hard at work. Robert, the one sitting on the floor, is a member and also our neighbor.

Bremen and my pumpkin. While I carved the face, Bremen picked up a knife and started slashing, digging on the sides of the pumpkin. He said he was making "scars and scratches".


Do you have a favorite? Bremen likes the elf one the best. I was also quite impressed with that one. It was made by Elder Sorenson ... without a pattern. Not bad.



Oh, by the way, you can see Elder Sorenson as the lead in the following Mormon movie http://www.turnaroundmovie.com/.

Since learning that he's an actor, he now has to come to Primary anytime I need someone to act like a prophet, Bible character or whatever. Lucky guy.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Very cool. I miss pumpkin carving with everyone! No, the girls haven't picked up the tradition in your absence. It just wasn't the same without you here and we decided we couldn't bare to face it alone. Someday, should you decide to return to Arizona, we hope to resume the great tradition that you so casually abandoned...

Jack said...

Please come and carve pumpkins with me.

Jamie said...

Great pumpkins - glad to see the tradition carries on with you, as well. But, do you really not know how your brother spells his name?

Sheri said...

I like the scary looking one at the bottom (in the last picture). He reminds me of Jack the Pumpkin King.

Kim said...

We carved pumpkins last night. It's not Halloween until the pumpkins are carved. It looks like you guys had fun.

Kim said...

Also, I agree with Sheri. I like the bottom pumpkin in the last picture. It does remind me of the pumpkins in The Nightmare Before Christmas. I should know because I've watched that movie about 10 times already this year. Joseph loves it.

LauraB said...

Ummmm...just got back from hunting and was just catching up when I read that Teresa thinks the pumpkin carving tradition has died. On, contrare!! Last year we did it out on the carport - don't know where YOU were, but there are definitely pictures of Charlotte and Wendy doing pumpkins! This year I plead guilty to abandoning the pumpkins in AZ - we were in the woods! (But, we did carve pumpkins in Utah!)