Thursday, December 20, 2007

Slovakia Childrens Hospital


My company gives a lot of money to charity but as it is an American-based company, most of this money goes to organizations in the United States. This has bothered employees in Slovakia for the last few years. I've tried to get a budget for Slovak charities without success - maybe I haven't tried hard enough.

Anyway ... rather than wait around for the company or for me to convince the company, the employees decided to do something on their own. This is the third year we have 'adopted' the local Childrens Cancer Hospital in Bratislava (picture above).

We collect money from team members. Some employees work overtime for a month and donate the OT wages. We've been slowly stocking thier play/craft area ...
  • Television
  • Sound System
  • Computers (2)
  • Nintendo
  • Movies/Books
  • Craft supplies (paints, paper, etc)

This is the first year I went with them to deliver the gifts (my boss went the previous two years to represent the center). We went today. The director showed us around. The hospital is the largest in the country, caring for over 50% of all children with cancer in Slovakia.

She showed us the first wing for the 10-18 year olds. We got to meet some of the kids as we unloaded the gifts under the tree. The kids live in the hospital while getting treatment - parents are welcome as well. Some of the kids were telling us how they like to aggravate the staff by setting up passwords on the computers (the ones we bought last year), locking everyone else out. They were pretty funny.

We then took some chocolate eggs (the cool ones you get in Europe with the toys inside) and went to tour the second wing. The kids were so little (2, 3, 4 years old) - Bremen's age. They were so excited about the eggs. We started going room to room giving them out. There were 'sterile rooms' that we weren't allowed in but the nurse was sure to take in an egg. We then came to the last few rooms. I peeked in through the window ... cribs ... each of these rooms had a crib. A young couple came out with a little baby in their arms. A beautiful, tiny baby ... I can't imagine it ... they're just kids. I don't try hard enough.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

Now that I am crying...It makes me want to do more too. Every small effort helps.

Teresa said...

It really makes you thankful for all that we have and makes you want to support those whose struggles are so much bigger than ours. Thank you for the reminder.

LauraB said...

Like father, like son. Today Bremen made a "sign" for Santa telling him what he wanted. He ended his list with "and I want a lot of toys." He and Logan had a discussion about if Santa brought all the toys to him, there wouldn't be any for kids next year. So, Bremen had me point to the words that said "and I want a lot of toys" and he crossed them out. He wanted to make sure there were toys for everyone!

Kim said...

I think it's awesome that the workers got together on their own and made something happen. I am awed that some of them will work overtime for a month so they have money to donate. That is what Christmas is supposed to be about, giving to those who truly need, not running around the mall trying to find a gift for someone who already has everything they could ever need.

Loved this post!

stephen said...

Hello,
you website is excellent.

I am planning a charity trip to deliver goods donated from people in Ireland to people in need in Slovakia.

Every now and then I get someone saying something like "Why do you want to do that in your own time?" (I plan to take a weeks holiday to do the delivery in my own vehicle towing a large trailer).

I normally ignore these people and dont let them get me down. If they happen to dampen my enthusiasm all I need to do is go to your website, listen to the music and read the webpage.

thank you for giving me more courage and heart, it is greatly appreciated.

Stephen Pendle
stephen.pendle@pmg.ie