Friday, March 28, 2008

Quotes of the Day-with reason

You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in.
Arlo GuthrieUS folksinger (1947 - )

I love Arlo Guthrie's songs. Growing up my family would sit around the record player on Thanksgiving listening to Alice's Restaurant. The Motorcycle Song is on of my favorites-I don't want a pickle.


Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleonora"US short story author, editor, & poet (1809 - 1849)

I hope to always be a dreamer/imaginer, so I never take life too seriously, or not seriously enough.


'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

I frequently feel stupid when I open my mouth, which is part of the reason I rarely open it.


Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Bill Watterson, cartoonistUS cartoonist (1958 - )

I believe there is life on other planets, and I happy we haven't found it-happy for that other life.

5 comments:

prism said...

I love Arlo Guthrie, too! Love the Motorcycle Song and also love Alice's Restaurant.

You're not the only one who feels stupid when you open your mouth... me too. Problem is, I have a hard time keeping it shut sometimes. I never used to be that way. I guess that's what I get for living in NJ for a while.

If you find the secret to not being too serious, will you share it with me? I feel like I struggle with letting go sometimes. Ok. A lot.

ducklips said...

I love those quotes. My dad often recites the quote by Abe Lincoln. I have to admit, I do not know much of Arlo Guthrie and I am a little embarrassed about that.

I also believe in life outside this world.

I especially like the one about dreaming though. I love to dream all the time.

Kim said...

I think eveyone has moments when they feel stupid for opening their mouth. Being an avid people watcher, I prefer to watch and listen anyway.

I love the dreamer quote too. Why take life so seriously? I like to try and find the humor in a situation. It's more fun to laugh than to stress.

LauraB said...

I was going to say something, but then I remembered the Abraham Lincoln quote, so I won't.

Teresa said...

OK, I was a little concerned when I came to your blog and found you had changed your playlist. However, the new one seems to be working for me. Jack is on my lap & put his feet up on the desk & became very calm. Sure enough, he fell asleep after 2 songs! Thanks!